For B.Tech in Marine engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu, it has over 15 different colleges. Marine engineering specializes in the design, functioning, mechanism, and operations of different naval instruments.
1. Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai
- IIT Madras was founded in 1959 and was recognised as the third institute under the ‘Institute of Technology Act’ (1961).
- The institute provides B.Tech, M.Tech, Dual degree, and Ph.D. programmes for the students.
- The Institute provides courses like Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, Aerospace, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Computer Science, and Metallurgy engineering.
- The course fee for Naval Architecture & Ocean engineering is around Rs 1.14 lakhs annually and has around 66 seats.
- The students have to clear the JEE mains to qualify for IIT Madras.
- 22 companies made 123 placement offers to the students in 2020. In 2019, 126 pre-placement offers and 890 students were offered different placements.
- Various MNCs like Texas Instruments, ISRO, Uber, Microsoft, and Qualcomm visit the college annually.
- SVCE was founded in 1985 by Sri Venkateswara Educational and Health Trust. The college is affiliated with Anna University.
- The college provides degrees like B.Tech/BE, M.Tech/ME degree, and Ph.D. degrees.
- The college provides courses like Marine Engineering, Civil, Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics, Mechanical, Biotechnology, IT, and Artificial Intelligence.
- The course fee for Marine engineering is Rs 1.5 lakhs annually.
- The students for Marine Engineering are selected based on their Class 12 marks. The students have to score an aggregate of 45% to qualify for the engineering course.
- The average salary is Rs 4.7 lakhs annually.
- Various MNCs like L&T, Ashok Leyland, Cognizant, Amazon, Bosch, and Coromandel Engineering visit the college annually.
3. Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training (HIMT), Chennai
- HIMT was founded in 1998 and recognised by the Ministry of Shipping, India. It is affiliated with Indian Maritime University.
- The college provides degrees like B.Tech, BSc, DGS-approved post-sea courses, UK MCA-approved courses, and DGS-approved pre-sea courses.
- The college provides courses like Marine Engineering, Nautical Science, Graduate marine engineering, port sea courses, and various long-term and short-term courses.
- The course fee for Marine Engineering is Rs 3 lakhs annually with the provision for scholarships.
- The students for Marine Engineering are selected based on their Class 10 and 12 marks. In addition, the students have to score an aggregate of 60% in PCM and a minimum of 50% in English.
- The selected students have to clear the IMUCET exam. The selected students undergo a personal interview round followed by a medical round.
- Over 80% of students have been getting placed every year. Nearly 80% of the marine students of the 2020 batch had already been placed, and the process is still under process.
- Various MNCs like MOL, PIL, BSM, VR Maritime Services Pvt Ltd., TCI seaways, Wilhelmsen Ship management visit the college annually.
4. Coimbatore Marine College, Coimbatore
- Coimbatore Marine College was founded in 2001 and recognised by the Ministry of Shipping, India. It is affiliated with Indian Maritime University.
- The college provides degrees like B.Tech, BSc, BBA, MBA, Diploma, and other certification courses.
- The college provides Marine Engineering, Nautical Science, Graduate marine engineering, logistics & shipping, Marine ETO, and various long-term and short-term courses.
- The total course fee for Marine Engineering is around Rs 11 lakhs.
- The students have to clear the IMU CET exam and aggregate 60% in PCM in Class 12. In addition, the selected students should clear the medical round.
- Various MNCs like SeaTeam Management, ASP, d’Amico, Synergy group visit the college annually.
Various engineering colleges are providing Marine engineering in Tamil Nadu. Some of the top-ranked colleges as per placements have been discussed in detail.